A published writer, Granny Sue is a frequent presenter of programs and workshops at conferences, festivals, schools and libraries. She obtained her BS (Education summa cum laude) in 1991 from WV State College and Master of Library and Information Science from the University of South Carolina in 1995.
Granny Sue writes a daily online journal, Granny Sue’s News and Reviews, the poetry blog Mountain Poet and a monthly column for the central West Virginia publication Two Lane Livin’. Her work has appeared in two anthologies of stories about Appalachian women as well as in other print and online journals. Her writing interests were sparked when she started a writing group for children in 2000. Her poetry, nonfiction and fiction works have won awards at the WV Writers Annual Conference and her short stories have been published in two anthologies. Her poems, essays and articles have appeared in print in several journals, magazines and online sites.
Granny Sue performs across West Virginia and out of state, telling stories and singing Appalachian and British ballads. She is the West Virginia Liaison to the National Storytelling Network, secretary of the West Virginia Storytelling Guild, 2nd Vice President of West Virginia Writers, Inc. and a member of the Appalachian Wordsmiths writing group and several regional storytelling organizations.
She is the mother of five sons, grandmother of 14, and great-grandmother of one.When not writing or telling stories, she enjoys gardening, canning and life on her small farm in Jackson County.
· Mountain Story, Mountain Song (CD); 2004
· Beyond the Grave: Ghost Stories and Ballads from the Mountains (CD); 2009
· 2006: Skull Run Stories (one of 6 editors).
· Storytelling in the State Parks. Storytelling Magazine, NSN Press, March 2006.
· Filling the House. Short-short story published by WestEd in high school
sophomore test booklet for Massachusetts, 2008-2015.
· Storytelling with Puppets. Telling Stories to Children. NSN Press, 2005.
· Young Writers Group. More Teen Programs that Work. Honnold, Rosemary. Neal-Schuman, 2005.
· Gracie’s Cabin and Burning the Trash. Zinnia Tales: An Anthology of Strong Women Stories, Mountain Girl Press, 2006.
· Yellow Roses. Self-Rising Flowers, Mountain Girl Press, 2008.
· Simplicity. Gambit Literary Magazine, 2006 edition, WVUP.
· The Way It Was. Appalachian Journal, 2005.
· Brown Paper Lunch Bag. Museletter, WV Writers, Inc. 2005.
· Telling Stories in the Parks. Storytelling Magazine, 2005.
· Filling the House: a retelling of an old folktale. Storyteller.net, 2004
· Various stories and poems, MountainEchoes.com, 2003-2004
· The Old Road. Poetry in Motion, Morgantown, WV. Poetry on city buses project, 2010.
· Olfactory Mystery. Holler Literary Journal, Princeton Poetry Project, 2011
· War, Thirteen Children, and Fruitcake: A Family Story. CD, available Summer 2012
· Appalachian Children’s Stories. CD, available Fall 2012
· Two Lane Livin’. Stumptown Publishing LLC, monthly column since 2008.
· Granny Sue’s News and Reviews, quarterly newsletter 1999-2008; online blog 2007-ongoing at grannysu.blogspot.com
· Mountain Poet. Online blog at mountainpoet.wordpress.com
· Puppets for Libraries. Online blog at puppetsforlibraries.wordpress.com
- Sago. Fed from the Blade. Anthology by Woodland Press, 2012
- Sago. Turtleshell Literary Journal, 2012
· National Storytelling Conference, 2000: Featured Regional Teller
· WV Storytelling Conference, 2001: McWhorter Award for service to storytelling in West Virginia
· WV Writers Conference Writing Contest 2006: 2nd Place, 3rd Place (2), Honorable Mention (2)
· Allegheny Echoes Creative Writing Workshops Scholarship, 2004
· AuthorEnablers Creative Writing Contest, 2nd place, 2005
· WV Writers Conference Writing Contest 2004:2nd Place, Emerging Writers, Honorable Mention Nonfiction, Honorable Mention Children’s Books
· WV Writers Conference Annual Contest 2006: 2nd Place Appalachian theme, 3rd Place (2), Honorable Mention Appalachian theme, Honorable Mention Long Poetry
· WV Poetry Society Annual Contest 2006: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 1st Honorable Mention and 2nd Honorable Mention, 3rd place Writers Wall Poetry
· Lee Mays Poetry Society, 2nd place First Quarter Contest
· WV Writers Conference Annual Contest 2007: 3rd Place Appalachian theme and Honorable Mention Short Poetry, 2nd place Writers Wall Prose
· WV Writers Conference Annual Contest 2008: 2nd place Appalachian theme, Honorable Mention Romance Genre, Honorable Mention, Appalachian theme, 1st place People’s Choice Poetry, 2nd place People’s Choice Prose
· WV Writers Conference Annual Contest 2009: 3rd place, Appalachian theme, 2 honorable mention, 1st place People’s Choice Poetry,1st Place Writer’s Wall Prose, 3rd Place People’s Choice Poetry
· WV Writers Conference Annual Contest, 2011: 3 Honorable Mention in poetry, Appalachian Writing and War categories